Friday, October 1, 2010

Short Stays

When we were awakened at 4:00 in the morning and told to pack a bag, my brother and sister and I grabbed a few things and loaded them into the back of a taxi with my mother's suitcase and we went to my Great Grandmother's house and moved in with her. I think I was 11 or 12. My Great Grandmother was very old and lived alone in a little house like this. It only had a central potbelly wood burning stove in the living room. There was a big stack of wood out back. My Great Grandmother had outlived her husband and her daughter (my Grandmother). She didn't outlive us. The strain of three kids running around the house did her in. She had a stroke and died while we were there. My brother liked the doctor's Cobra. He bought one later. Of course, when she died the house was left to my father, so we had to move again.

No comments: