Sunday, October 3, 2010

Subdivision

After the divorce and my Mom got some money, she bought a little three bedroom house outside of town in a little subdivision. We rode the bus to school, it would pick us up at the entrance of the whole neighborhood, so we had a ten minute walk down there and home in the afternoon. All the kids knew each other. There were a lot of little trees, because they had all been planted in the last three years and no bushes yet to speak of. A lot of the fathers would spend their weekends working on their houses. One boy's Dad had built their house from scratch. It was boring there. Very little to do. In the summer time, before I could drive, I would walk into town which would take about a half hour. The front windows of every house were lit by the glow of television sets in the evenings. A friend of mine and I thought it looked like some ghostly horror movie. There weren't real people there any more. just a ghostly glow of spirits that couldn't go on. I was out of there as soon as I could get.

No comments: