Thursday, October 14, 2010

Well, I started out looking for a picture of a house in Tucson

This was the hotel where I worked during most of my stay in Tucson. This was where the guy came in one night and tried to rob me with a stick. (The night after a liquor store clerk had been killed by a guy with a stick.)
http://murderer.us/HoldUpMan/index.htm  Click here if you want the poetic version. I still have bite scars on one arm. They hired a Security Guard after that (Wally) - he got beat up one night in the parking lot when he tried to stop a guy from breaking into cars. He carried mace, but it didn't do much. We also found a drunk on his ass priest in the parking lot one night and after figuring out what room he belonged to, Wally and I carried him most of the way and got him into his bed. (It was better than have him sleeping on the floor of the lobby and throwing up there.

The owner used to bring me cash and I would run a room through to John Doe and go open the patio door to the room and leave the room key on the dresser. We weren't supposed to go look.

I taught Wally how to do my job, and he took it when I left for LA. He had been a guard the Tucson County Jail before coming to the hotel, but quit because it was horrible working conditions.

Several years later, I drove back with a van and a couple of friends to get my stuff out of storage that my ex-wife and I had left there. The ex-wife was in Texas by then. We had a fine old time. Drank way too much, got my room comped by the owner, had to cut the lock off the storage room, skinny-dipped in the hotel jacuzzi with champagne in the middle of a summer rain shower at midnight (don't tell my kids), got coaxed by my buddies to go to a strip joint for the first time in my life and then had to put them to bed because they couldn't hold their tequila.

Wally and I and the weekend relief auditor used to play chess waiting for the dawn. I helped the weekend relief auditor study for his CPA exam, which he passed.

Tucson at night-

No comments: