Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I Made Them Dot Their "I"s and Cross Their "T"s

What does heaven look like to the clerks of the world? I recently had to call one over on main campus because a graduate student had flown to a conference in Singapore (on a foreign airline) and even though she and my person had submitted the justifications for using a Non-American Airline (Fly American Memo, that you have missed no doubt) all the paperwork was returned because we did not identify what the class "K" meant on the ticket stub. We were required to get an email from USC's contract travel agent explaining that "K" meant economy class. All of this is on your dime, government money awarded to USC for research. Out here we're shooting lasers at living cells to see what that does.

The same kind of Memo once instructed a certain kingdom in a far away land long long ago that they had to buy American manufactured vehicles. So they started leasing vehicles instead.

Would he (the guy above) really want an epitaph that expressed his real relationship with the world?

"If I need to meet with someone in Disbursement Control for assistance, when can I visit?Disbursement Control & Accounts Payable has daily walk-in office hours from 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm. Appointments are also available by calling (213) 740-9794."  -quote from the web site of the same department that I had to call for guidance on the "K" issue. Did I call during the correct hours? I don't think I did. What happens if you show up in the morning with a problem? Will they make you come back? Is this really the DMV?

"On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia." The mythical W.C. Fields marker is more my style.

Who would encourage the worker bees of the world to treat the "K" question as a serious one? Me thinks I know them too well and have worked for them. A government auditor would certainly question "K" if anyone could find it. Years and years of government audits regarding spending of government money and no one ever asked to look at grad students reimbursable travel expenses?

Gee, there will be a first time, right?


No comments: