Friday, October 8, 2010

Pacific Grove House

For a little while my friend from the boarding house and I and another guy shared a little house up on the top of the hill in Pacific Grove. Tim finished a little room off the living room and had that and the living room to use as he wanted. The other guy had a room next to the front door that was either a dining room/study kind of room and I had the upstairs bedroom and paid the most money. We had a little kitchen and a patio our front. I worked 3 to 11 at the hotel as a bellman and rode an old bicycle home at midnight and then would stay up all night to write the book I was working on and would go to sleep at 4 or 5 in the morning. I didn't hardly see anyone with that schedule. It turns out that guy below me was gay (which I knew from the beginning) but Tim was bi and having a off and on thing with him. Tim played the Vibes and I would be writing at 1:00 in the morning and find the jazz floating upstairs to my pen. My future wife appeared one day- she was a friend of the gay guy and had just moved back to Monterey from Arizona. She and Tim hated each other on sight. Relations got real strained as I became involved with her and she was around the house more. Eventually, she and I found an apartment to share, and I moved out. I've often wondered what happened to the two guys. I finished my first novel in that house.

1 comment:

Jim Turley said...

Dan-

You mention you lived in PG "at the top of the hill," but the photo is taken from Lighthouse Avenue. In fact, it looks like it's taken from the 2nd floor of my house, which was a boarding house years ago. Where exactly were you?