Sunday, October 31, 2010

Caretakers

The was a guy I worked for in high school that looked out for me. When the first group of guys wanted to take me on a snipe hunt, he nixed it. (Later, I'd be took but it left me stranded within walking distance of my house. With these guys on the south end of town, I'd have been miles from home. And I'd have to face them the next time I went to work.) There also was an older car hop that was ready to eat me alive, and he nixed that as well.
I was sixteen and would have been taken for another kind of ride than the one I went on.
After I was having emotional and sexual problems after my break-up with the first ex- at nineteen., he was the one that listened. Recently found him on Facebook. He did make the best Biscuits & Gravy and Strawberry Pie. 
It's nice to know that there's always some place in the world that you can go for a job if you need one. But I don't think fry cook wages are still very good.  When I was over on campus, someone wanted to know how I handled so much so easily. I told them everything I learned, I learned working the order ticket wheel at the A & W Drive In. First in, first out. Wrangle five at once in increments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This article was extremely interesting.