Friday, October 1, 2010

Transition Homes

It didn't look like this and there was no motor boat out front. It was about this size in a little neighborhood near the high school. It was a rental. I was with my mother the day we went to look at it. We had to find something quick. I had the golfer's hat that I wore to annoy my brother. (He had started wearing one- a little straw hat with a tee in the brim and I had got one to copy him and so he couldn't wear it any more. It was a 60s thing.You wore it on the back of your head.)
When we went in, I took off the hat and carried it in my hand as we walked through. When we were through, my mother said she wanted to rent it. The guy said 'well, I never rent to divorced women, but the fact that your son took his hat off when he entered the house, I figure you are all right.' So this doesn't end the story.
My Mom wasn't stupid or all that much of a wilting flower. She still had keys to the house that we had been ran out of. She knew he was still going to work in Indianapolis every day. She hired a mover to show up at the house at 9:00 and had them empty everything out and put it into our new rental. I would have loved to see his face when he got home from work that day. Of course then he began stalking her. I remember her running in and locking the door behind her, because he had waited for her to get off work and had followed her home. She didn't know where else to go and was afraid he would try to hurt her if he got her alone somewhere. A Restraining Order got rid of him.

No comments: