Wednesday, October 13, 2010

All Those Houses in San Fran

There were only three, but it was such a big big big deal. We inherited an apartment on Geary near the Haight that was great. My friend Tom had it before he and the girl friend took off on their around the world trip. There were paint spots on the floor where he painted. It was on the second floor and had big bay windows. The wife was working graveyard at the St. Francis and I was working days at B. Dalton (trying to get back into the book business) She started an argument with the landlord because he was doing yard work behind the apartment during the day (the only time he had to do it because he was a fireman that worked swing shift) Anyway we had to move because she couldn't sleep. We ended up moving way out down south to a fixer upper that they were giving us a discount on for fixing it up. But it was endless work. And too far away and bus ride with the hommies was horrendous. So then we found a 5th story apartment just above the hotel below Nob Hill that finally worked out. The building was old and had thick walls and there were only two apartments per floor. By that time I was working graveyard at the hotel because we needed more money, the wife was pregnant and working swing shift. The radiator heat made it a bit moist in the winter, but all in all it was ok. The baby came and I got a second job, so I was never home anyway. There were some good times taking the baby out in the stroller around the city. I wrote and never hardly saw anyone. Didn't really ever make very many friends in SF. Walked around the city through the night on my two days off. Worked at a second hotel and then at a bookstore for a while. Remember Cindy coming to the B. Dalton to tell me she was pregnant. The three midwife angels (that is a story in itself, we tried for a home birth- there was a 'married threesome' - two women and a guy that were midwives and who were with us in that apartment above the hotel on Sutter until it was very clear we had to go to the hospital and then took us and stayed with there) - I lost that train of thought- anyway, they were taking shifts with her at the apartment, trying to convince me to nap, when I was washing dishes.

I still love the city- wish it had been more than it was. I got convinced I should go back to school and off we went again.

No comments: