Friday, January 1, 2010

Edith and This Old House


The first day of the new year. We closed it with playing music at my house, great company, great piano and guitar and mandolin- not so great banjo. (That's me, everyone else made me sound so good.) Got to talk and eat and watch the ball drop on TV. This morning I just finished "Edith Wharton, An Extraordinary Life" by Eleanor Dwight. Big pictorial biography that I picked up for a $1.50 
A entertaining read. She was basically old money, married money and made money from her books. Moved around a lot, had a lot of money to spend on clothes, houses and gardens and traveling and entertaining. I've not read any of her novels yet, so I'll let you know. I grew a little tired of the interior designs of her houses and her expansive gardening. I have a feeling that this, like James, is a bit of the 19th century version of "Lifestyles of The Rich & Famous" Its hard to feel sympathetic towards her loveless marriage and her one or two flings. I did discover that she was neighbors for a little while with the Gilders (near Lennox) and that it was much more of a enclave for the wealthy that I realized. I'm having second thoughts about my Helena De Kay Gilder (see website link above- retirement project) thing. I had gotten out my transcript of the journal she and her husband kept in first few years of their marriage and worked a bit one afternoon trying to read and write out another couple of pages, but the handwriting is just too unreadable. Supposedly, Helena's daughter was transcribing it, I wonder if its time to give up or time to get my hands on the family papers to see what's there.
My fiction doesn't deal with the rich, why am I interested in writing a biography about one?
Anyhow, just because they are great writers, that doesn't mean they had meaningful lives or even interesting ones. I tried one of Goethe's travel journals and discovered it was all about rock collecting. Time for a nother nap. Happy 2010!

No comments: