Saturday, January 30, 2010

Odd Jobs (I lost count)

I was a stay at home Dad eight years ago. One the last things I did was get up at 3:00 am on Thursdays and drive down to San Pedro. Recycler had routes for delivery and restocking of their numerous classified ad magazines to grocery stores, liquor stores and gas stations. I'd pick up a pick-up size load of these things and then drive like a bat out of hell to deliver them to all the places on the route you were given. I soon discovered that some of the places were 24 hour places and some didn't unlock their doors until 10:00 am. So the first couple of times, I finished around two in the afternoon. (Oh, and you used you own car and had to pay for your own gas.) The organized soul that I am, I came up with complete route map based on the the opening times and timed my stops so I didn't have to back track or wait. You also had to collect the old issues and settle up with the owner or cashier. Then you had to return to the main depot, turn in your money and dump all of the old issues. I was soon finishing up by 11:30 in the morning. It's hard work if you want to do it fast. I had to be at the kids' school to pick them up at three. I was making about $120.00 for the eight hour work. Got to know all the liquor store folks in my little territory, interesting bunch. It is a good way to keep in shape.

No comments: