Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Digital Music


I've decided to take the step and go completely free of media here. (The CDs are taking over my studio. Five years of buying anything that looked interesting in thrift stores while waiting to go back and pick up my kids from whatever they were doing.) If you are a scrounger and are willing to dig through the whole world of music, you can usually find something. I like Bluegrass, some Country, Jazz and Classical, anything that barely resembles a CD by a street musician, weird ethnic stuff...

a little bit of rock and pop, anything by a strong female voice, choral groups, asian and navaho flute, some Wyndom Hill, all folk, John Mellencamp, Tom T. Hall...
 
and of course my new love, da banjo. Goodwill is charging 2.99 these days, a lot of the other shops are $1.00 or $1.50. Most of the CDs are fine. Only occasionally do you find one with playing problems. I discovered you can just run it under tap water and wipe it off with a cloth dish towel and that will solve most problems. You can even do a little dish soap lightly. (So much for those fancy CD cleaners, huh?) I've probably 500 CDs right now. Most are going. My daughter is shocked- what happens if the Drive dies, you will loose all your music? A guy at work thinks we should save all media, just in case. I'm hoping for day when you can walk around with a little pod that will download all your music from your server via satellite. Oh, maybe we can already do that.

No comments: