Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Friends


There was a buddy in Bloomington that was supposed to get his Phd. before I had written three books. I haven't talked to him in forty years. I hope he did get it. I've written three, but have only published one. There was a couple we both knew then- the husband was working towards his Masters in Medieval French (of all things) and my buddy and I both fooled around with his wife- not so good to do if you are friends with someone. I split. My buddy ran away with said wife but she went back to her husband eventually.
There was a guy I knew in High School that I let off the hook by telling him I was a liar (he hated liars, and told me he could no longer trust me) but I lied. -The real truth was that his girl friend and I hated each other.
There was a guy in New Orleans, but I outgrew being used so I cut him off (after 20 years).
There was a TV writer out here in LA that I had imagined myself growing old with and sitting out on the Palisades in Santa Monica in folding chairs as old men, but at one point it became apparent to me that he did not consider me an equal.
People come and go from your life for a variety of reasons. These days I'm trying to hold on to people, but god, how some of them are growing old and crusty.
Are friends really just a matter of convenience?
For me Facebook is turning into those Christmas Cards you get every year from people you will probably never see again. What does it mean to have 450 friends? It nice to see how people turned out, I suppose. The kids that used it first aren't too interested to see how others turned out, they are busy trying to get their lives going.
Happy new year if you ever knew me at all




No comments: