Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hidden Masterpieces


I found this print signed by Picasso (in pencil) in a Thrift store in LA and bought it for $2.00. I had it framed for $20.00. I'm fond of it. When I was looking for a picture of it to put up here, I found a similar print signed went for $200.00 at auction a couple of years ago. So its not terribly valuable, but I like the print and I tell people that all the art in the house is mine except for the Picasso. I am sure I found a George Inness painting in a thrift store on Polk Street in San Francisco in 1978. It wasn't a large one, but it was priced at $200.00 and I had no money then. I should have hocked my wedding ring. Anyway, I keep looking. Inness found his own first commissioned painting for sale in a Mexico City bazaar twenty five years after he had painted it. There was a Jackson Pollack that was disputed for years because it had come from a thrift store until they discovered his fingerprint in the oil paint. I still look. Occasionally you find canvases that have talent and ability. One guy caught me looking one afternoon.
  
He wanted to know if I would be able to recognize something valuable if I saw it. Only if it was in the realm of my expertise. 19th Century American I could probably spot. The canvas internal frame would give it away no doubt. There was a collection of original canvases that appeared a one shop up in Hollywood. Maybe twenty pieces all by the same painter. There was a couple there debating about buying four to hang all together in their living room. I was joking with them, saying that this was probably where my paintings were going to end up. They were were lucky to have the find. Within the week all twenty were gone. I didn't buy any. My kids are already making claims on the my paintings in my house. So I may be one generation away from the thrift store. I still look. Maybe there's another Picasso out there.

No comments: