Sunday, January 24, 2010

Odd Jobs* footnote


Thinking about wandering strange cities in the middle of the night, I was never attacked or robbed in any of those settings, But I was robbed twice when I worked as a night auditor. Once in Tucson, by a guy that had killed a liquor store clerk a few nights earlier with his stick. I wrote a poem about it: http://murderer.us/HoldUpMan/index.htm

The guy came in and tried to whack me and we fought and I ran out and ran next door to an all night restaurant where some cops were having dinner. He got away, but with  no money. I still have a bite scar from him on my arm. I'm pretty sure I broke his nose.




The second time was when I was moonlighting at a motel in Santa Monica just 12 years ago. These three guys came in a pulled a gun and I gave them the money and they left. At this point I decided I probably wasn't going to working night audit any more. If you haven't heard this song, you should. It is so sad and it could've been me.



I called my wife in Arizona from the hospital they took me to at 3:30 to tell her I was all right. That was just stupid, but you want to let someone know what has happened and you've survived. I was bitten a couple of times and had big bruises from being kicked while I was on the floor momentarily. My glasses were broken and I had a gash on the bridge of my nose.

I didn't call my wife in the middle of the night the second time.

The top painting is by Brenda Guyton: www.brendaguyton.com/painting.htm
The Man Behind The Gun is by Ajie Pribadi and can be found here:


No comments: