Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tiling




I was going to to talk about something sexier, but I've just spent the last two days ripping up old tile in our bathroom and putting in new tile. The picture doesn't do justice to what I'm doing, because I snitched this photo off the internet and I'm doing imported 6" Italian fired tile that makes this look sick. I'm good at this. I love this. I could have been a contender. I have an eye that will allow me to go out there and run the tile parallel to anything and fill it in later and it will all match and look perfect. I bought a $75.00 tile saw from Home Depot that works pretty well, except that it sprays water at you. In my previous life, I would rent a $100.00 a day saw and cut all the pieces to fit in one day. There's a porch in Venice that is still there with my handiwork. There is something incredibly satisfying about cutting ceramic tile and putting it down and grouting it and having it look perfect. In my next life, I will do nothing but  tile and mosaic work and die from back knees and a bad back. I was finishing in the rain here in LA and was worried about electrocuting myself because the saw was out on the back deck under the canopy, but the deck was wet and and the extension cord was wet and the deck was wet and I ended up with my rubber souled sandals with a bunch of towels around. cutting my last three pieces of trim- cause I wanted to do the grout tomorrow and the wood trim.


This is what I could be doing, only better

    

No comments: