Monday, January 11, 2010

Done In By People In Bright Clothing


Well, for those of you that were following the saga of my attempt to build / organize a shared booth at the Los Angeles Times Book Festival, I want you to know that I've finally been done in. I've gone through about ten writers that sounded serious about buying in and then one by one, I get told 'Oh, I have to be out of town that week-end' or 'It's not for me' The latest was from the most diabolical writers of them all. Who do these people look like? You know them. They've all written children's books. (I've often wondered how writer's groups function if everyone is writing children's books. I'm imagining the criticism: 'Alice, there should be two ducklings, not one' and 'Look, Jane, Look has been done. You need to be more original'  Do they work on the artwork as well? Anyway, I was approached by one of these creatures that told me that she and two friends wanted to buy in, but couldn't I change the time slots and the amount of money and she couldn't understand my sign up sheets, and oh she and her friends really wanted to have the slots together. So I helped her. Her daughter helped her with her email. She sounded like a decent person. I'm now waiting for the checks to arrive. I might even eat the difference to make it work. I nudge some other people who want in but can't commit. One of them drops out. Some other friend of this grandmother wants in. Then I get an email tonight. 'Oh, we're not doing it.'
'We're going to pay the GLAWS group and participate on their table.'
You would think these people would take up scrap booking or quilting.
Pssst, you really think putting four sentences under a picture is writing?  

No comments: