Sunday, March 13, 2011

Used to Whistle

In my twenties when I was hitch-hiking about, there were songs that I would sing to myself on the shoulder of the road to entertain myself as I waiting for a ride. This song I had first heard on a Michael Parks album spin-off from the "Then Came Bronson" TV show that was one for a year while I was still in high school. I started whistling it. And got pretty good at it I think. Anyway there were several Leonard Cohen songs and "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor and a Kingston Trio song "Bout This Time Of Day I Get To Feeling Low" -all good theme songs for hitch-hiking. Later in Northern California, they translated well to songs that could be sung on a motorcycle. I've been practicing whistling to this song today. I could do a whistle solo in the next jam me thinks.

Aside, when we took the littlest bear back to Great Barrington to check out the college for her, we heard the stories about James Taylor being in the mental hospital in Stockbridge, and one story was that he wrote the song on a bus as they were transferring him to a hospital in Boston. I was greatly offended by that story. How dare they take my hitch-hiking song away.

Singing on the highway is a lot like singing in the shower. The acoustics was wonderful.

No comments: