Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Submitting The Play

 
I was sending the play out yesterday to groups that would accept email submissions. There were quite a few that wanted what these folks want. I've been doing this crap with my novel for the last year without success and am beginning to think the process is warped and unkind to the author. This is the play that a friend has told me (without reading it, of course) that I have written a play about a child molester.  

The Actor's Studio West info says to call so and so to get information about submission guidelines. I leave a message. He calls me back and I miss him and he leaves me a message. Now we have connected twice and both times, he has told me he will call me back, but then doesn't do so when he says he will and calls me right after 12:00 when most folks go to lunch. I'll keep you posted on this one.

 
 
Dear Sarah,

I am reticent to provide a synopsis of the play because I think the subject matter will lend itself to a quick dismissal of the work. Please accept that there is a character list at the beginning of the play and if you decide after five-ten pages, you don't like it, so be it. If you don't want to review it in this fashion, please discard it and let me know. I am really interested in work-shopping this with actors at this point and can assist in production work with your theater since I'm a carpenter and a fine artist as well. The play is very strong.

Thanks

Dan McNay

On 3/23/2011 1:17 PM, The Blank Office Manager wrote:
Dear Dan,

Thank you for submitting your script to The Blank Theatre Company.

Due to the high volume of script submissions that we receive, we request
that you first send us a submission package with the following:

.    a one to two page synopsis of your play (story and themes)
.    a character breakdown list (including ages and gender)
.    twenty-page writing sample (representative/best ten pages of the
play and first ten pages)

Please e-mail your submission package as a Word or PDF fiile to:
info@theblank.com.
The synopsis need not include every plot detail, but it should cover the
setup, what's at stake, and how the story resolves in the last act.

The work submitted must be entirely the property of the author. Reworks or
adaptations of plays by other authors will be considered only if you control
the rights or if the material is in the public domain. No phone calls or
personal deliveries will be accepted.

If your material looks right for us, we will then read the full manuscript.

Thanks and good luck!

Sincerely,
Sarah Bauer
Script Submission Coordinator
The Blank Theatre Company


_____________________
Office Manager
info@theblank.com

The Blank Theatre Company
P.O. BOX 38756
Hollywood, CA 90038
(323) 871-8018 office
(323) 661-9827 ticket line
www.TheBlank.com


-----Original Message-----
From: Dan McNay [mailto:mcnay@mosis.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:13 PM
To: info@theblank.com
Subject: Submission of "Spoonful Of Sugar"

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I'm submitting my full length play "Spoonful of Sugar" for your
consideration. It is designed for a low budget production and only requires
two sets. (And could be produced in the courtyard of any stucco apartment
building in Los Angeles.) I would love to workshop this into the real world.

Thanks

Dan McNay
310-448-8215
310-337-7229

mcnay@usc.edu
mcnay@mosis.com
Dan McNay <mcnay@mosis.com>
Business Manager/ Export Manager
The MOSIS Service

No comments: