Monday, December 7, 2009

Being Bossy


Ever had one of those days? I had an employee tell me I was full of you know what for asking him to scan 18 pages a week, so they would appear in a virtual file for us. I've always believed that bosses had the right to be the biggest idiots in the world. Why should I be any different? I once got into an argument over the phone with a expresso machine repair man about repairing a machine for my work. He was Italian and I was suddenly in this cultural behavior argument where the voices go up and up and there are hand gestures, etc. and being the adult that I am I realized I could just lower my voice and he would respond in kind. It works. We got the expresso machine repaired so my idiot bosses could have their cappuccino in the morning. I lowered my voice with this said employee and I offered him the choice to think about his reaction to my request. A thousand years ago when I was a security guard and a bouncer, I was told by someone so much wiser than me to never never ever block the culprit's access to the door. Sound advice, but before I gave said employee access, I removed it. Its all about power. I once stood a minute too long in a doorway blocking a VP because he was being a you know what. If you are six seven you can can do this stuff.
Said employee will be there at the pearly gates with all those other people I've been mean to in my life, and I'll have to explain why I was a boss.

No comments: