Thursday, December 10, 2009

Odd Jobs


In 1971 I (got married) loaded up a pick-up truck and a U-Haul trailer and drive to Logan Utah and tried to work and continue college there. Working in Logan wasn't easy. I had to get whatever I could find. My wife was supposed to go to work for the Logan Park & Recreation Dept., but she hadn't finished her degree at IU so they couldn't hire her. She worked as a waitress. I went from thing to thing to make money. One of the jobs was to go to the slaughterhouse and stand beside these guys and watch for unborn calves. They would slide it over to me still in the sack. I would extract it and then cut its artery and collect its blood. (Because it wasn't born yet there were no little germs and such in its blood and they used it at Utah State for lab work and growing things. (Just the white blood cells.) I had to go separate the white from the red in a centrifuge. There are techniques for extracting blood from little critters that have never seen the light of day, but I won't get too graphic here. I don't think I did a wonderful job. I think I kept contaminating the blood cells. The smell of the place was what bothered me the most.

No comments: