Monday, August 8, 2011

What We Don't Know

Mrs. Dalloway- a manuscript page. Hadn't been for Leonard, there probably wouldn't been any published books.

In her last note to her husband she wrote:
Dearest, I feel certain that I am going mad again. I feel we can't go through another of those terrible times. And I shan't recover this time. I begin to hear voices, and I can't concentrate. So I am doing what seems the best thing to do. You have given me the greatest possible happiness. You have been in every way all that anyone could be. I don't think two people could have been happier 'til this terrible disease came. I can't fight any longer. I know that I am spoiling your life, that without me you could work. And you will I know. You see I can't even write this properly. I can't read. What I want to say is I owe all the happiness of my life to you. You have been entirely patient with me and incredibly good. I want to say that – everybody knows it. If anybody could have saved me it would have been you. Everything has gone from me but the certainty of your goodness. I can't go on spoiling your life any longer. I don't think two people could have been happier than we have been. V.[26]

She put rocks in her pockets and walked off into a river. Mrs Dalloway is worth the read. Nice easy flow of words- easy to read, and a pleasure for the language and stream of consciousness narrative. Wonder if anyone could write like this today and get it published by anyone. I'm about 60 pages in- doing 4-5 pages every day at lunch to savor it. 

1 comment:

Rosaliene Bacchus said...

Thanks for sharing this, Dan.

It is those who love us unconditionally that are with us through our successes and failures.

Before it is too late, let us never forget to tell them how much we love them and appreciate what they do for us.