Friday, August 5, 2011

Found metaphors at our house

There was a tree out front. I found it growing next to the house- a gardener oversight, transplanted it twice and then let it grow. My neighbor hated it because it did match the other trees on the street. It grew and grew and split into a giant forked tree. I wanted it for shade in the front yard when I sat out there with the kids in the summer time. By the time it was large enough to provide shade, we were no longer sitting out there. The kids had grown to old to play with hoses and such. It had its' ups and downs. We really never trimmed it properly. Finally, one side just fell in a giant thump one afternoon while I was off back packing the Grand Canyon. This was shortly after my boy bear moved completely out of the house. My younger daughter went out to move the car just to make sure and her older sister came running out afraid that she was under the tree somewhere. All are good. The tree only hit the yard and not the house or the cars. The city came and cut the entire thing down- both branches. And left a city placard for the next crew to come remove the trunk. They told my wife that she should not hold her breath waiting for the trunk removal. I put the placard away after a couple of weeks. The gardener says he thinks there were termites in the tree trunk. The tree is growing again. My wife says this time we will keep it trimmed properly. This is not a metaphor. This is not a pipe.

1 comment:

Rosaliene Bacchus said...

May we and our nation be resilient like this tree.