Saturday, August 13, 2011

What to Tell You

This wasn't exactly what it looked like, but you get the idea. Tim couldn't play with the band on Sunday mornings because he was an usher and a greeter at the Visitation Church in Westchester. The entire whole congregation knew him. There were 400 people at the memorial service. There were 200 people at the reception at the Knights of Columbus hall afterwards. I met a guy I'm friends with at work there. An actor that I've seen on TV. The entire Boy Scout Troop showed up. Our little band showed and played three songs at the reception. Tim had been bragging about us, about playing with us, it seems. We couldn't even hear ourselves over the noise level in the hall. Its ok. I showed up with Craig, our mandolin and harmonica player at 10:00 am and no one was there. They had set up the hall the day before. The door was open. Tim was the guy that had the key to the door. So we set up and I left him there as I went off to the church. When I came back we were all there. I am continually amazed that these folks show up. We played out 3 little songs we could barely hear each other. My wife said we couldn't even be heard in the back of the hall. But we all felt we had done our duty. The bonds of music are much much stronger than any thing else in the world. I can play for five minutes with a total stranger and be ready to see and meet up with them again, no matter what.
Tim was a little guy- he had little guys reaction to to me- but we connected- we were equal when it came to playing and singing. I wish he was going to be around to see what was to come.
Shit!

1 comment:

Rosaliene Bacchus said...

"The bonds of music are much much stronger than any thing else in the world."

An amazing observation, Dan! Perhaps because it's a common experience that every human individual can connect with. It's a connection that has not been lost on some world leaders.