Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Venice Neighbors #4

I got divorced in Venice, my ex took most everything worth taking including the car. I had little money, so I began wandering the back alleys of Oakwood and Venice and most of the alleys looked like this. If I found a desk or a bureau or some such that could be repaired, I'd carry it back to my empty apartment, repair it, refinish it and use it. Or I'd get stuff from Thrift stores.

When I left my little place to move in with the lady I live with now, we found the little house over on Cabrillo and negotiated where everything went. Much of my rescued furniture ended up outside, ready to be given back to the thrift stores and alleys of Venice. There was a single Mom next door, with a little girl with matching red hair that thought all this furniture was a godsend. We gave her most of it I think. We got friendly and we got to steal lemons from her lemon tree and we gave her avocados from ours.

Then it was discovered that one of my lady's friends had been the woman's therapist. And things cooled a bit.  

No comments: