Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Just Plain Arrogance & The Tip Of The Iceberg

I was a Freshman in college and walked into the University Bookstore one afternoon. The place was filled with Police Academy Cadets, maybe twenty or so, all in uniform. What a perfect time to shoplift a book I've been wanting. The undercover security guard who arrested me didn't have to watch the other twenty or so, just the big guy. I went back to my room and cried when no one was around. I was fined $60.00 and court costs when I pleaded guilty.$60.00 was a week's salary for me then. I decided I could no longer afford to steal things. My buddy and I had by this time ripped off half the stores in our little town. So I stopped. And I didn't even get to keep the book.
Fritz would've told me I was wise, and becoming integrated. The only thing from the books and his autobiography was the "becoming one with the all, the all just being manifestations of one's self" or something like that and the fact that he had to mention that at eighty he still masturbated every day. 

When one of the bears got caught, I was tempted to sympathize but I think I told her about the handcuffs.
It's really cheaper not to steal. The time and effort to hide your tracks and the energy to remember the alternate stories concocted is time consuming. Then there's the guilt- but more about that later.

1 comment:

Janet Boyd Art said...

wow! I didnt know that Fritz was such a horney guy.