Friday, June 25, 2010

Bad Walks #1

I've been to Vegas several times. Once to get married, which was fun. Several times to Comdex (Computer Dealers' Exhibition) was a computer expo held in Las Vegas, Nevada, each November from 1979 to 2003) as a USC/ISI Tech Buyer. The last time was to drive my son up to the Spring High School Basketball Tournaments
where we stayed in a hotel where he spent all of his free ime studying for finals and AP exams and then we would go play with a lousy club team that lost every game.

Comdex was generally boring as all get out, because it was 10,000 computer nerds. They didn't gamble, they didn't drink, they didn't go to shows or eat out anywhere but the buffets. Wonderful time. The slots are empty, the restaurants are empty etc. So I would walk. It was one giant Disneyland
and it doesn't even have the edge of age. If they stopped tearing it down and rebuilding it, in three hundred years it might feel like Versailles, but as it is it is just plain nauseatingly boring. Like I want to walk around miniature versions of real places or feel like I'm on an Hollywood back lot- now that's real. Like I want to walk up and down long expanses of concrete that not another soul has actually walked on, see lobbies that have the feel and texture of shopping malls. Ten miles and I was done.
This was where I started, or was it where I stopped? Anyhow, I hope I don't have to go back anytime soon.

No comments: