Monday, June 28, 2010

Tales From Camp Dan

You haven't lived until you've taken a load of bears to the museum.  I stayed home five years and besides my three in the summer, I had four or five more. You used to be able to take sketchpads and pencils to LACMA and sit on the floor and draw pictures of the art. We also had little contests. I would make up lists of things to be found in the paintings and we would have a friendly competition to find them. I never got to win. Bears are like puppies, they attract women. We were followed one day by an aging valley girl type who was very invested in what the bears could do. A couple of them were getting a little nervous by her proximity. We would retire to the grass outside for lunch and snacks. Lots of tuna and peanut butter and chips and fruit juice boxes in those days. They will stay with you for the most part, unless you make a weird issue of it and then they rebel. I learned that from the beach outings. I was sure I would lose one to the waves, but they all self-edited themselves into safety.
We saw every museum, every building, every park, and swimming pool in Los Angeles.

No comments: