Thursday, January 13, 2011

What Happened Last Night

I went off and played by my own little self last night for the very first time. The banjo came. It was at a open mic night at a place called The Talking Stick in Venice at Lincoln & California. Nice supportive crowd. Lots of musicians of various abilities. I got complements! I did "Pallet On The Floor" a very old song and one that I wrote myself called "We Outgrew It" -about the little house in Venice that we left nearly 15 years ago now.
I guess I did all right. The playing wasn't as smooth because of my nerves, but was ok- or everyone was feeling sorry for me. I don't want to know how I sound at this point. I'll just do it until someone decides to record me. The voice has always been problematic. My speaking voice has that weak-kneed tone to it sometimes that I hate to hear in my brother's voice. I'm sure the singing voice is the same. Me wife says I have a Randy Neuman kind of voice. Whoppee. Anyway, I'm glad they liked it. I'm going back next week. Apparently I'm the only banjo they've had. I have one song that I think will stop the world. It will be interesting to see how it does. I've recycled two of my previously written poems into pretty effective songs. The other two were written from scratch. The words of my songs are twice as good as anything I've heard from the world of open mic songwriters. It's having a product you believe in.

No comments: