Monday, January 10, 2011

Overgrown Boys In Overgrown Gardens

Spent all day Saturday with a large group of Boy Scouts and their parents redoing an overgrown garden in front of a church in Westchester. One kid's Eagle Project. It looked just as bad as this. The real pictures haven't popped up anywhere as of yet. Some of the adults I've known for 10 years now. The Scout is my daughter's age and went to the same school for a while and road the same bus with her and her two older bears. The kid was tending to be a little heavy, but he found an affection for cross-country so he's lean now. A good guy. He cares about folks. On a camp-out a year ago when I failed to get any of the campers interested in singing along with my banjo, he came over to hang out with me and my son and I ended up giving him an intro lesson in banjo picking.  These Projects a good excuse to get very dirty and a good chance to schmooze with the other parents. I brought my Eagle Scout Bear to show him off and to get myself legitimately lodged in the new adults minds, so they are not wondering why this weird character is helping out with the troop even though his kid is long gone. I'm leading some of them off on a 30 mile bike ride at the end of the month and a 50 mile in March.

Gotta work the crowd.

One of my critics sez I ain't being literary enough and I need to describe my characters. The kid looks like this:

No comments: