Monday, January 31, 2011

Susie

I talk to this lady every year - sometimes twice a year. She's my age, has a 41 year-old-daughter (which means she had her when she was 19 or 20) , a diabetic husband who hasn't got a lick of sense. The lord froze up her flower refrigerator twice in the last year, so she decided to get out of the flower business. No one buys flowers for funerals in Tennessee any more which was more than half of her business. You can get salvation here along with your cake. She arranged to get me a potted plant to go with my cake this year. She personally delivers 'em to my 87 year-old mother who lives out on Riva Ridge Road and will stop and chat. She might even be talked into a cup of tea. She's thinking about taking a morning job and opening her shop after lunch- just until things get better. I was telling her about our friend that had to go to Vietnam to tech English because she couldn't find a job in the states. You can call her and get a bit of that Tennessee accent. She takes Credit Cards and will call you back long distance if she's busy. The cakes are good, my Mom says.

No comments: