Thursday, December 9, 2010

Other Boy Scout Tricks

Every year the Troop goes out to the desert and shoots rifles and shotguns and that part of it is very very controlled. The Scoutmaster is NRA certified and retired LAPD and has been teaching guns to the scouts for 10-15 years now. However, the first year I went with my son, I walked over to where some of the boys were trying their hand at archery. There was no adult there. One boy was up at his target retrieving his arrows as another boy was shooting at his target next door. I yelled for them all to stop! We then set up the standard safe procedures just like they have for the shooting range. I was remembering this yesterday, saying I was there to prevent one boy in particular from getting an arrow through the heart. Just like I yelled at him to stop as he was running to beat leather down a huge hill, with his arm in cast and sling. I did let him be the first one to make it to the top of Mt. Whitney with our party, but he was older then (and none of us could keep up with him).

No comments: