Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Elbows

I caught a little lady in our Square Dancing Lessons in the forehead with my elbow a couple of weeks ago. I am very tall, for those that don't know, and my elbow is even with most peoples' faces. Most people don't think about it, but I do. When I was 16 and working as a fry cook, I caught an old lady in the kitchen full frontal. Her nose bleed a little. I told the lady in the square dance group this when I apologized for the third time and she looked at me and said "You still remember that?" I guess I do. I may be able to recall every piece of physical mayhem I have ever caused in my life. The kid fights. The basketball coach coaching me to elbow the other players in the face by "accident", The fights as a teenager. The little scuffles we encounter on a day to day basis. He is a wise soul, the elbow. When you are big, you know what you are and how to intimidate people. It has little to do with ability, but a lot to do with perception and scariness. We don't want to hurt people, ever. But we can, can't we? I occasionally find myself, wondering, why are are they looking at me. And then I remember, oh, I'm 6'7" Watch out for flying elbows, even on our best days, we can be caught unawares.

No comments: