Monday, December 27, 2010

More and More Scars

When we moved into the new house, I remodeled the garage into a studio space for me. I decided I would use the existing rafter beams as a bare rafter ceiling and put up ceiling tile in between them. I sanded down the beams to stain them and inhaled a lot of sawdust and then began coughing and then coughing up blood. So I went to the doctor.It was this idiot of an English doctor who was test happy. So he did X-rays and cat scans and blood tests and found that I had scar tissue on one lung and I had hystoplasmosis. You can only really get it the part of the country I come from or in Louisiana. Its a disease you get from airborne pores from chicken droppings in humid climates.  There are other sources, from caves and such. I could recall being real sick with a horrible cough at ten. You carry the disease with you like herpes. There are seldom any reoccurrances since it acts as a vaccine and your system is already prepared for it. The doctor was ready to send a camera down my throat and I decided it was time for a second opinion. The second doctor told me I had irritated my throat, coughed too hard, and had popped a blood vessel in my throat which caused the bleeding. I was no longer coughing or bleeding by this time, so I decided the second guy was right.

It was useful to find out I have scar tissue in my lung and the reason for it, so that later I can avoid test happy doctors and realize it might be a liability some day- or if I'm ever ready to go out on disability, it might come in handy.

No comments: