Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Just Like In The Movies (Werst Boss #3)



Just like in the movie (Lost In America) where the guy ends up working in a fast food place for a 15 year old. I had worked in restaurants from age 14. I was married, 18, and had just moved to Logan, Utah. In my second year in college. My wife took a waitress job at The Lofthouse Cafe when her job with the city rec department fell through. The owner was Joyner Lofthouse. The only thing they had open was a job busing tables. So there's me 6' 7" busing tables and all the busboys answered to the cooks, because that was how you became a cook- you started out as a busboy and worked your way up. The head cook was a 16 year old petty tyrant that had slaved to get ahead in the world. I got out of there as soon as I could. I think I stayed only a month. It didn't matter that I had cooked for three years and had been an assistant manager back home in Indiana. The bosses at the Del Monte Canning Factory were a step up. I was told there I couldn't keep a paper back book in my hip pocket and my last shift there they told me I'd never work for Del Monte again. This kid would have hired me back.

No comments: