Sunday, May 23, 2010

Evil Bosses #2

I followed a boss over to Cal State LA, which was probably a big mistake, but I thought it was going to be a good opportunity. It turned out having Higher Ed experience probably got me the job at USC. Anyhow, there was a guy in between me and her that turned out to be the craziest of the craziest. The only employee was an Accounts Payable clerk that was on probation. All the accounting records were in boxes with FBI tape on them. The previous management had embezzled a lot of money out of CSULA's Grant money and their auxiliary services funds. The crazy guy had been a Contracts and Grants guy there. The girl doing AP wasn't as bad as I was lead to believe, and I had to hire a whole new staff. Well, the guy liked to have long long conversations in his office about the work- like hours and hours- I felt under the gun to get the department up and running and get the new people trained etc etc, so I decided not to sit down when he asked me to come talk to him. I stood in his door. It cut down the amount of time in his office. He decided that I had little hand signals that I was making to the staff outside that was a way of making fun of him. It went down hill from there. He would come out at random times and take things off my desk and tell me he was going to deal with what he took and then sit on it for a week and then bring it back and tell me I needed to take care of it right away since it was late now. Every time I went in to talk to the lady I followed over, he would go out and pick a fight with one of my staff. I was told to fire two of them for no other reason than he didn't like them. I was forced to fire them. Finally, he took me out into the hall and threatened me with firing if I didn't swear then and there never to speak directly to his and my boss again. I was already looking for another job by that time. 

I was offered a job at USC and grabbed it. The look on his face when I gave my notice was worth all the pain. You've never seen anyone so scared. I had lunch with the lady I had followed and told her why I was leaving and told her if she didn't believe me that the guy was crazy, just give him the IT staff and see how long they lasted. She said she couldn't chance it. 

I told the Director how crazy the guy was as well. I heard that the place dissolved in disarray shortly after I left. The Director got dismissed, the lady I followed, moved on and the office got absorbed by another department. The crazy guy is still over there, if someone hasn't killed him.

No comments: