Monday, May 24, 2010

Helena

The original photograph


Helena in her studio, 103 East 15th Street, drawn by Vernon Howe Bailey for a Century Magazine article: "Life-work and Homes of Richard Watson Gilder" by Maria Horner Lonsdale

Richard is reading a book in a hammock right behind her.
I'm still trying to track down her artwork. She was painting and had studio space through the 1870s and 1880s. I've put up a little on the website www.helenadekaygilder.org but haven't found much more. She also showed in galleries and at the group shows into the 80s as well. 

She was supposed to be real cute. Stanford White, the architect, and general fooler-arounder, was taken by her as were a whole lot of folks. I'm anxious to see the transcript of her diaries I've sent for. I'm hoping there will be enough there for a 3rd or 4th of a biography.

No comments: