Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Details

I've had all sorts of jobs and odd jobs and have moonlighted various places. Both large places like Los Angeles Unified School District and little mom and pop places like Cary Beckham's Bookstore in New Orleans. There is a difference sometimes- not in the environment- but in the mentality. Cary was a good guy- there was little drama, little issue. I've always done what my bosses asked. I found major stupid employee behaviors in big and small places, but there is a mentality in small places that happen some times because of an insecure tyrant who really knows deep down in their heart of hearts that they shouldn't be there and everyone around is smarter and is secretly laughing at them.

There was a little hotel in San Francisco
that I moonlighted on weekends to get money together for our move to Tucson. I showed up the first night and there was another guy scheduled to work the same shift and when the lady manager was consulted, she said that the old guy was fired and I was his replacement. I got her into a discussion about it because I didn't want to take the guy's job. It was agreed that he would work with me to get me up to speed and then we would work out a schedule so we could both work. I had a full time job at a big hotel- I didn't need to be pushing this guy out on the street. She had fingernails like the ones above. She was the live-in lover of the guy that was leasing the hotel from the owners. The next exchange was when she was in a meeting with the head hotel engineer (one guy that did all the building maintenance) and she was not to be disturbed by anything. 
Fifteen minutes into their meeting, I got a call that a bathroom was stopped up and had flooded the room and was pouring out into the hallway, I interrupted her meeting and she fired me. After I explained why, the engineer went running out and she rehired me, but gave me a stiff warning.

When they (she and the boyfriend that no one ever saw) deserted the lease, they tried to take the chandelier out of the lobby and there was no toilet paper left in the hotel. 

She's been spotted since. There was a guy a Cal State LA that thought that I was making fun of him behind his back. There was a VP at USC that had "informants." There's a guy at my current place of employment. They make reality shows about them these days. 

God forbid, we still have to encounter them. You can spot them by their fingernails however.

No comments: