Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Random Connections

Marti used to watch Perry Mason every day. It relaxed her, she said.  The judge in the last episode was Earl Stanley (Gardiner) himself. He died in 1970, so the last episode was run long before she was watching in 1971. He wrote hundreds of books. (A typist, someone said to me.) I did not watch these. I was rereading Isimov's "The Foundation Trilogy" then and wondering how I could have thought these books were so great just a few years before. It wasn't until I got back home and that summer in Bloomington before hitchhiking off I was reading "Sometimes A Great Notion." I recall talking about it to a cab driver who drove me to Charlie's (step-father) deathbed in the Bloomington hospital. 
Well, I finished "Sailor Song" You shouldn't bother unless you have read and like the other early books. I was ready for it to be done. Great writing, stupid story, stupid characters and everyone gets run over by a truck at the end. (As a friend once said of the ending to Hamlet.) Except for Ike and the hot tempered girl. Of course, if you want to learn how to write- go right ahead. The bones show which could be good or bad. I find, at least with the musicians I'm hanging out with, (and the age group- of 60 year olds) that everyone is recalling things from their early teen years and what their parents liked. They are all pulling out these songs that were on the hit parade in 1965. Are we really such sheep? Thank goodness, I had no parents with any awareness of popular culture, or any awareness at all for that matter. And most TV was crap. I managed to find my own crap.

No comments: