Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Caretakers Deluxe

We had one that came right after the twins were born. We realized that the money we would spend for day care for two equaled what we would pay for a nanny that could come to the house. Much better deal. There was a lady that lived by that called about the ad. My wife recognized her voice. We were aware of her because she screamed at the top of her lungs at her own daughter when she walked by out house. She lived nearby in a house that the kids came to know as "the yelling family"- this wasn't good. Blanca showed up and I knew she was the right one. That didn't stop me from appearing at the house at odd times to say I forgot some papers that I needed for work (just to check up on her). She was with us for 8- 9 years. My wife and I were afraid to take the twins out for a walk by ourselves because we figured they would wander in separate directions. We came home early one day to find her strolling calmly about the block with both in tow. If Blanca could do it, we could. Eventually, we trusted her to take them all over the city on buses and we'd pick them up in odd places. We helped her get her papers. She came to the new house with us. And it was painful to let her go when I decided to stay home with the kids I was barely seeing. The littlest bear cried at me one day saying she didn't want me, she wanted Blanca back. Blanca let her cheat at cards.
She has two of her own now and we see her occasionally. She says she doesn't know how we did it as parents. She's worn out. We thought she was better at it than us, but then she got to go home at the end of the day.

No comments: