Saturday, November 27, 2010

Holes In My Mind

Mijoa Rho - Artist
I apologize to the gentleman that made a comment about my post about living way on top of the hill in Pacific Grove. The picture I posted was one I just stole off the internet because it reminded me of the view and another place I lived there before we moved to San Francisco. (Which I left out of my several part thing on places I've lived.) I looked on a map for the house on top the hill, but didn't quite find it. My commute to the San Carlos Hotel in downtown Monterey was by bicycle through the Presido, so my notion is warped of where it was. (I used to joke with people visiting Monterey and Pacific Grove, 'that yes, I did know how to get to a particular landmark, but I couldn't tell them how to get there themselves'- this is exactly what happened when my step-father drove me up there for the first time in his RV and we drove around and around looking for our campsite that nobody could quite give us directions to.) I know you left the top  of the Presido, passed a school and took a left and went a little further up hill.

I left out when the ex- and I went to find a place of our own because she hated one of my roommates. The first place was down on the south end of downtown Monterey, right on the truck route. It was cheap, but turned out to be noisy and perpetually dirty with soot from the trucks. We came back to Pacific Grove and lived in an apartment building just a few blocks above the downtown there. It was a nice place and quiet. I was working graveyard and the ex- was working swing shift I think. Pacific Grove was a dreamy place. If we had stayed things might have been different, but I couldn't. San Francisco was on the agenda when I came to California. Maybe the ex- was working graveyard as well by this point. We gave notice and the manager insisted on showing the apartment and we told him that the evening was the best time since we slept during the day. He was old and god knows what he was thinking, but he appears in our living room with a couple at 11:00 am. The ex- and I are in bed asleep. She wakes me up- there's someone in the apartment! I grab my jeans and go out to find the guy showing them our kitchen. The couple left immediately. The old man was upset with me that he had lost potential renters. 

We were married on Jack's Peak. It's too bad that I don't have pictures from that time. 

No comments: