Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Do They Really Remember?

There was a scene toward the end of Tender Mercies where the daughter he barely knows leaves and he watches her go and remembers a lullaby he sang to her when she was probably very little. I've sung to my kids. The song below was one I sang thirty years ago. The last one I sang to, I sang Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan songs while we rocked next to the dryer. My wife and I sang Twinkle Twinkle to the bears until they were in middle school I think (Well, maybe not that long.)  



Can one remember lullabies from their own prechildhood? Maybe the way to warp sensibility to acoustic and unwashed music. Or just the opposite- my son didn't get a predilection to metal from us- its more a reaction to us I suppose. Where do songs go when they die? Do they go up or down?  

No comments: