Saturday, August 7, 2010

Me and Mauriac

It's late and I've unpacked. Here's a quick shot of me on top of El Captain (in Yosemite) reading "Flesh and Blood" - Francois Mauriac- he won a Nobel Prize in the 50s. Good good read, the perfect book to take backpacking, especially with the guys I go with- and the girls. This trip was me and Rob and Dan and 4 girls, our daughters and friends. Slightly obsessive tale of a very smart unwashed bright young poor guy who goes to study as a priest and then quits because of his animalist nature and his relationship with a couple of spoiled rich kids who come to live at the estate the he works at as a manual laborer. Jude The Obscure told backwards, sort of.
Sad ending, but the trip to get you there is worth the ride. I'd suggest a slightly hard backpack trip when you are over 40.

No comments: