Wednesday, April 27, 2016

This all started because I played downtown LA



This all started because I played downtown LA at Crane's Bar as a SurgeEvent booked guy for no money. The sound guy there was the last guy I got at Bar 20. He was bad and had lousy equipment. I decided I could do better, and go direct with both venues. This was the exchange I got from Bar 20. It turns out that this guy: Troy Berry is "T Roy" that booked me with the SurgeEvent connection: Anyway - the exchange:
To: Troy Berry
Subject: Performer interested in your venue
Hi,
I’ve played up there several times with the Surge guy. The last couple of times, I’ve gone over really well, the Surge guy keeps asking me on other gigs at other places. I’d like to offer to work directly with you for future gigs. I have a four piece band that sounds young and fresh, but we need to be paid. We are not real costly, about what you are paying now.
Performers interested in your venue:
We have a four piece band: banjo, fiddle, drums and guitar & mandolin, two singers.
We do covers and originals. We’re adult oriented musicians with a family friendly sound.
We are currently booked for every Saturday in July at Golf N’ Stuff in Norwalk. We have our own sound.
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Troy Berry wrote:
Hi Dan. Our Conditional Use Permit does not allow us to pay for performers but thanks for checking in.
Troy P. Berry
Director of Sales and Marketing | The Grafton on Sunset
8462 West Sunset Blvd. Hollywood CA, 90069
T: 323.654.4600 | D: 323.491.9009 | F: 323.654.2286
Troy,
You actually expect anyone to believe what you just replied?
Dan
Troy Berry 10:18 PM (18 hours ago)
to me
Dan I'm actually stunned by your response. Are you aware that Bar 20 was never zoned/approved for live music when it got its liquor license?? I
I certainly don't have time to get into all the rules and nuances and intricacies of our Conditional Use Permit in this email but maybe you should give me a call so I can give you a much needed education on zoning laws in West Hollywood for bars that were never intended for live music instead of responding in such a manner.
323 719 0280
Dan McNay
10:24 PM (18 hours ago)
to Troy
So I should contact the Permit office and tell them you have live music? You are not paying your booking people? They are working for free? I'm a booking agent. I can book better acts in than you got and do better sound.
Jesus.
Dan McNay
10:27 PM (17 hours ago)
to Troy
Maybe I should call ASCAP as well - see if you are paying those fees.
Troy Berry
10:27 PM (17 hours ago)
to me
Dan. Call me now. I'm going to tell you what we are allowed to do (have up to 3 people) and what we are not (live bands with drums)
Once I explain it to you, you will go ahhhh I see. But I'd appreciate it if you call me now and we have a positive conversation instead of your current tone. We are both musicians and both on the same team brother
Call me now 323 719 0280 and let's have a pleasant chat smile emoticon
Troy Berry
10:29 PM (17 hours ago)
to me
Dan call me now - I can simply explain to you how it works
Don't shoot the messenger!!! You act like these are my rules lol

Dan McNay
10:38 PM (17 hours ago)
to Troy
Troy,
It's not that hard to figure out. You are getting paid and I'm not. When you figure out how to get me paid, I'll come back and talk to you. I'm entertaining the folks that are buying drinks in your bar. I'm getting paid elsewhere. I guess I've just decided I don't need to do this level any more. It's like the open mics and the showcases I've done earlier. Either you outgrow them or you don't. Or you work up some scam shit or you don't. If I'm gonna play for free it will be at a non profit where nobody is making a paycheck or they are doing it for the love of it.
Thanks
Troy
10:54 PM (17 hours ago)
to me
Dan
You sent me an email about your 4 piece band playing at Bar 20.
Only duos and trios are allowed at Bar 20 per our CUP. That is the most the city will allow without a special event permit and proof of insurance.
We are working with the City on getting this changed and if/when this happens will keep you posted.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and take care

No comments: