Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The Sound MF

So, I play this club downtown LA tonight. Supposed to play from 7:30 to 8:00, but I'm the first one on, so, I think I'll show up early - maybe get some extra time.So I find the place, snag a street parking space right out front. Check it out, the bar is in the basement. you enter through a bank vault door. The place looks like the pictures on the the web, although in reality its about half the size of the space shown in the photos. The sound guy I've met before up in Hollywood at another of this promoter's venues. He couldn't make my banjo preamp work there and "I" had to suggest he just give me a second mic, rather fuss with it for half my slot. This time, a 7:00 I set up, get myself in tune, and sit there. He shows up about 7:15 to do the sound check and after it 's set, he tells me I can't start until 7:30. He has no boom mic (it broke he says) The guy that's is playing after me loans me his. I start at 7:30 and there's no vocals to match my banjo, and about half way through the first song, he fixes it. I get off at my scheduled time. Tell him how wonderful the sound was. His boss and he are getting paid. I didn't get paid for this. I think I got to work harder to get my own bookings.

No comments: