Monday, February 6, 2012




Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "What it looks like":

Dan, okay, I think there is some confusion caused by the capo.

Without getting into too much music theory, C#m is the relative minor of E, so if you're playing an Eb chord, the relative minor is Cm, etc.

Given the chord progression you've shown in your chart, all the Eb's should be E naturals. Also, a few other things could be changed to make the progression closer to the way it's composed:

In the line where it says "the major lift," there is no chord change over "lift," stay on the A chord. In the line "the baffled king composing hallelujah," there is a B chord over "baffled," and there is a G#7 over the second syllable of "composing." And on the final "hallelujah" in the 7th line, the chords should be E B E.

Play along with the KD Lang Youtube video I linked and see if these chords don't fit a bit better (-:




------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I appreciate the advice, but we playing to Nancy's voice and her interpretation. I honestly don't care if the song sounds like it  should - as was recorded by someone else. Or as it was written. Sorry. I keep telling all the old men in my life, 'that I've never played a song right yet, and doubt if I ever will.'  The picture above is the way my fingers feel after 2 two hour sessions of practicing the chords on this thing. 


I'm taking lessons, taking classes, read a whole book about music theory and hope to understand a great deal more in the next few years. I write books and paint pictures. I know a hell of lot about literary theory and dramatic form and can discuss structure in Tolstoy versus William Burroughs. I can discuss dramatic structure in painting and compare Picasso to Raphael in construction. There is no "should be"  Take my word for it.


What there is: is what works and what does work, and sometimes you are forced to make something 'that doesn't work' into something that does.


The band is a group of amateur musicians that have their moments, but except for Ben, they all need their music written down in front of them. Me included, but I'm working on that. A couple of fiddle players have passed through the group that could just play, but they didn't last.


The novel I published has little sections in it where I intentionally change tense and move from third person to second person. Everyone told me not to do it. This isn't the way it should be done. Read Sevastopol by Tolstoy.


I can tell you where to find the lousy parts in Frost, Faulkner & Hemingway. I can show where Winslow Homer copied Millet. Where Wyeth copied Toulouse-Latrec.


The other night I pointed out to someone that there's a limit to Emmylou Harris's voice- a note she can't hit and she deals with by whispering the words there. Are we supposed to whisper words because that was the limitation of the big time singer? Do we really have to sing Dylan songs like he would sing them? Cohen was flat through out my teenager years listening to him. I appreciated him, because I could sing along with him. I can do a perfect imitation of Kris Kristofferson, does that mean I should?


Thanks for advice. Please respond- I'd love to have a dialog. Have you read "The Sunlight Dialogues"/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan, well said. And congratulations, if you're resolving an Eb to a C#m, you've been playing jazz and didn't even know it!