Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Upcoming gigs

In reality, the lights overhead are not on. They may have burnt out long ago.
The lady booking the club put up a couple of more openings, one for the 8:00 pm slot on Halloween night and a later one. I figured what the hell, I could show up in all of my 6'8" with weird face paint and black clothes and proceed to do weird murder songs and some others that lend themselves to to the theme. I'm the opener, who the fuck cares. She responds that she's filled the slots. Today, there are three postings to Craig's List for the slots. I want to respond to her "I can hear you" but I don't, I'm polite. I send her a cute little note about how I was sorry I missed her Sunday night, let me know if there are openings. I left out the part about 'where the fuck is the sound' and what the hell is this place? She responds that maybe I could do some 'Christmas songs' next month. She didn't even hear what I did.  Anyway, my kid calls tonight and we are schomzing. I tell him about the gig and he describes it as the strip mall club at the edge of Vegas and I suddenly realize he's right. It is. I've arrived at the edge of Vegas.
So I'll cc her on this.

The sound equipment in here really did look like it hadn't been touched in twenty years. I tried to play the Airliner downtown LA about six months ago and it was very clear that the booking guy and the equipment itself hadn't touched each other in twenty years. Sad, but true. Who wants to be as old as me and umtouched.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't ever let me catch you performing at a dive like this again - ever. You know by now what the best locations/demographics are for your music, so please market the heck out of those places.