Monday, October 21, 2013

The Recital & The Stardust Club

Sos, we had the book publication party yesterday. Great time. I spent the morning Sunday cleaning up and putting things away. And at 4:00 we headed off to my teacher's recital for his students. As you can see they are mostly kids. There are a few older folks. There is a thirties something in the middle of this crowd. And there were a couple of old farts like me that didn't get in the picture. 

 This is the teacher and playing Where Are you Going? my song that I played at FAR-West last week. The group seemed to like it. I was also working up an odd little version of When The Saints Come Marching In, but he forgot and I wasn't about to play it after my own.
 Then off to the Stardust Club in Downey to play at 8:00 pm for an hour. I get there at 7:30 and there only seems to be a couple of barmaids present. I ask for the sound guy and she says they don't show up until 9:00 pm or so. She takes me over to show me the equipment. It looks like the equipment hasn't been touched in a year or so. There's no mics, no cables. I didn't bring anything, because I assumed it was a club and they had stuff. So I'm sitting there, thinking I'll just go at 8:00 if no one shows, or I could have done it un-amped I suppose. This guy comes in and brings stuff to the stage and I ask if he knows anything about anything. He's on at 10:00, The Debbie Goodman & Friends listed below, I guess. He says, well he needs sound for his group's set, so he will bring his in and set me up. And he does!. Great guy. I do my whang and scram for an hour. One of the regulars really loves banjo, sos he's egging everyone on to clap and hoot etc. Not a large crowd, but what do you want on a Sunday night in Downey.

Never met the booking lady.
I didn't stay for Debbie & Friends, and I couldn't find a picture of the guy that helped me out. I'm assuming its the guy with his back turned here.

Onward and upward, I guess.

No comments: