Thursday, October 24, 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like Borders

I pick on bookstores instead of low rent music bookers.

From: Dan McNay [mailto:mcnay@mosis.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:10 PM
To: email@vromansbookstore.com
Subject: Author interested in presenting

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I've just published "The Truth About Treasure Island" a novel about Robert Louis Stevenson and Joseph Strong in Samoa in the 1890s. I was going to approach your store about taking consignment copies.

My intent would be to do a factual presentation with slides about Stevenson's time in Samoa combined with a little banjo and singing of a couple of period songs. (I perform as well). And maybe have some copies of the novel handy. I have lectured in the past and can design it to the time format you wish, though anything under an hour isn't going to do the subject matter justice.

This is the book:

http://thetruthabouttreasureisland.com/

This is me singing and playing:


Dan McNay

On 10/24/2013 3:56 PM, Rachel Ormiston wrote:
Hi Dan,
Thank you for your interest in hosting an event at Vroman’s Bookstore! It does appear that in order to stock your book at Vroman’s, we will need to do so under our consignment program. If this is something in which you might be interested, please take a look at our consignment program, which you can find online here: http://www.vromansbookstore.com/consignment-program.

Since you mentioned you would be interested in having an event at Vroman’s, you can find information about that on this page: http://www.vromansbookstore.com/tiers.   The Gold consignment package offers an opportunity to participate in one of our Local Author Days, where authors present and sign their featured title with two other authors.  These generally take place the last Sunday of each month at 4pm and run for about 2 hours.  If you decide to sign up for the Gold consignment package, our promotional director will be in contact with you to schedule your Local Author Day once your consignment paperwork is received.  I know this isn’t necessarily the time frame you were looking for, but I thought I would let you know any way.

Please feel free to e-mail with any further questions, or contact our Will Call department at orders@vromansbookstore.com if you are ready to select and purchase a consignment package. Thank you for thinking of Vroman’s!

Best,
Rachel

Rachel Ormiston
Digital Media Coordinator

Vroman's Bookstore
695 E Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91101

P (626)449-5320

Rachel,

I think your program is as bad as the groups that run tables at the book fairs. I'm offering to do an entertaining slightly musical hour for your customers about a world famous author's adventure in Samoa that most would find interesting. I've lectured to different groups around LA for the last twenty years. And I'm suppose to pay you for sitting at a table?  How about you go fly a kite? I don't think you are smart enough to know who Robert Louis Stevenson is, but I thought I'd tell you anyway.

How about you order my book from Ingram and I might some day come down to your self-righteous little hole in the wall. You might as well be Barnes and Noble. I will buy my books from Small World Books or Skylight or Book Soup. The only reason independent bookstores still exist is because the loyal book people want to feel they are a part of the loyal few. Otherwise, why bother? If I don't have time for a quality browse of a bookstore I order from Amazon. Good luck in your bright future.

Thanks for your canned response.

Dan McNay

No comments: