Sunday, October 13, 2013

Anaheim Antique Flea Market

The preface to this that two days before I had just showcased in the Grand Ballroom of the Hyiatt Regency in Irvine for the FAR-West conference in front of 100 professional musicians and got applause and had a few folks that told me they liked one of my songs (that I didn't get to play for the little doggie lady below).
I might have been even angrier, if I wasn't tired from attending the conference, and I quickly realized I had found la-la land in Anaheim

This is her picture on one of her Facebook accounts. She has a second account with the a similar picture. I'm assuming it's her dog. The lady was in her sixties with one of those really bad weird red dye jobs and lipstick on. The dog looks more attractive at this point.

This is what she emailed me:

On 9/9/2013 4:54 PM, Monica Keppel wrote:

I cant  get youtube.for some reason. The last couple of weeks my
computer is acting goofy.
  Whatever you play will be perfect,I of course love all music
,especially the oldies.
See you then.
Monica
On 9/9/13, Dan McNay <mcnay@mosis.com> wrote:
Monica,

If you click on these links, they will take you to my videos.
I've updated the songs to include Mumford & Sons and more modern stuff
while including oldies. Dixie Chicks & Tracy Chapman etc.
Some of these are my original songs.

I'll plan on showing at eleven unless it changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yccie3ZZtZA&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_SJL4nFpJK6VLtKOxcKx9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEfiFRxEkoQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YrbhSXjcbI&feature=share&list=UU_SJL4nFpJK6VLtKOxcKx9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOaXM3nvH_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fFFPU8lNHg&feature=share&list=UU_SJL4nFpJK6VLtKOxcKx9g

So I show an hour early. I had offered to play un-amped. I just did four hours with no mic at San Clemente two weeks ago, but she said the amplified was fine. I worked out where I would play and set-up. It was 10 in the morning. I usually start out mellow in the morning. She comes over and tells me to do more lively. I say ok. She comes over and asks to turn it down. I say ok. She comes back and says its my voice and can we turn your voice down. I say ok. I tell her I'm not sure I can do lively for four hours. The time we agreed upon was from 11:00 to 3:00 pm. I even made her a flyer and sent it to her the week before. She says that there was another guy coming and we were supposed to work out splitting up the time. I say Oh Really? I was never contacted. She leaves.

So I struggle on, skipping all the sounds that might seem too slow, wondering to myself how I can possibly do four hours (or even two if this other guy ever shows) with 1/4 of a playlist. It's nearing 11:00. I've already got ten bucks in tips in my banjo case (I never get tips until after 12:00.) and one of the vendors a half block away is applauding the last song and another lady who I have never met comes over to ask me to wrap it up in twenty minutes.

I say ok. Then I pack up. I am quite angry by this point. Had she come herself, I might have been more reasonable. I stop when I see Monica and tell her I sent her my music. Why would she invite me to play, if she didn't like my music?

She says "my mother died"

Her husband comes to the rescue. "Maybe you should go."

I can't resist fucking with men that are smaller than I am who try to throw their weight around.

I say "Really? You are going to get in my face?"

"We have people to deal with problems."

"Maybe you better go get them." I say.

Silence. You can feel the shrinking feeling in his gut. What calmed me down was the sudden thought of pee running out of his pants cuff.

"You know, you really aren't good people anyway."

And I leave. I have the rest of the day off.  

No comments: