Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Does This Make Any Sense To Anyone?

I had submitted the Query letter on March 18th, 2011. I heard from them today. They can't throw this email message into the other mailbox?



Thank you very much for your submission to Black Lawrence Press. The press now accepts submissions via Submishmash. If you are still interested in having Black Lawrence Press consider your manuscript, please resubmit here: http://blacklawrencepress.submishmash.com/submit.

If you do not resubmit via Submishmash, we will assume that you have placed your manuscript elsewhere or are no longer interested in working with Black Lawrence Press.

We thank you kindly for your assistance and apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Best Regards,
Diane Goettel


On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Dan McNay <mcnay@mosis.com> wrote:
Query for "The Truth About Treasure Island" a novel by Dan McNay

(a real letter)
“Dear Mr. Carruthers,
            Re Strong
            I must confess that I am entirely sick of this business, and so much so that this is not only my last offer but my last communication on this matter black or white. If I do not receive an answer (per bearer who waits) accepting this amended offer, Mr. Strong must stay in Samoa or leave Samoa and henceforth live at his own charges. My desire to act handsomely is great; my willingness to have my time wasted and my temper tried has now reached its limit.
            I offer then, to pay a steerage fare for him to Sydney, a second cabin fare for him from Sydney to Japan, to give him twenty-one pounds sterling either here or in Sydney, or part here part there, and to give one pound sterling a week from the day of his arrival in Japan for the space of one year.
            If this is refused, I have no more dealings with him or his account, unless he should prefer to return to the original offer in my last to you; but this also must be settled out of hand and per bearer. I am,
Yours very sincerely         
Robert Louis Stevenson”

“This is Stevenson trying to buy me off and get me to leave the island, even with my young son still living at his house. I had to sneak around to see him. I had found the love of my life on Samoa and I had finally followed my heart. Belle was a good woman, I meant her no harm, but our marriage had dried up. She had become Stevenson’s secretary and second wife for all practical purposes.
Fa’apio was one of the sexiest native dancers on the island. She danced for the king. She was gorgeous and she wanted me.
Stevenson finally shipped my boy off to California without my permission. He was in a safe place when the war broke out, but I wanted to murder the man, and I almost did. I made up for it later by saving his life when I was on my way to try to save Fa’apio.” -Joe Strong

This is the tragedy of both men and their lusts and their limitations as men. It follows their struggle from 1891 to 1894 until Stevenson died suddenly.  The novel is about 70,000 words and is illustrated by sketches from Joe’s diary. He was an artist and an early photographer. A great deal of the book is based on actual events.  
            The first fifty pages are available at www.thetruthabouttreasureisland.com
My previously published novel is available on Google books: “It Knows You By No Other Name” by Dan McNay. I am also the author of “A Man Came Up From Town” an Lifetime optioned screenplay about Robert Louis and Fanny Stevenson’s love affair and marriage, a small theater piece: “Virginia Woolf, The Waves,” a play in three voices; and another novel “Come To The Edge of Them” (out-of-print). 

Thank you for your time.
Dan McNay



--
Black Lawrence Press

No comments: